Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Media Among Us



Click Images Above and Below to Enlarge

After I wrote out all the media that I experienced over weekend I was very shocked and surprised to see just how much media I go through in just a 3 day period. What shocked me was how I would be watching TV and eating something and on the television I would see the exact thing that I was eating at the moment, like the Kraft Dinner I ate. What surprised me was how I was eating Kraft Dinner and I was thirsty but didn’t really give it too much attention until I saw the commercial for Coca Cola on the television and took one out of the fridge and drank it. When I think about all the media that I am exposed to on a regular basis, I don’t really think about it because I don’t really pay to much attention to it, although my brain picks it all up and literally saves it till the moment I need that media product. So subconsciously I am paying attention to all the media around me whether I like it or not and even though I don’t always remember it all, it’s always in the back of my mind ready to popup when I need it. I think the amount of media that I am exposed to is too little because I live in Winona and there aren’t too many advertisements and billboards there. The only real media exposures I get are from the television which I don’t watch very often and the computer which I mainly used for homework. Now I do go places other than Winona but is there really that much more media exposure there from here. The amount of media I am exposed to is no where close to the amount a child is exposed to each day because they are home most of the day and watch television non-stop, which is filled with commercials for toys, cereals, snacks and so much more. Also let’s just say I was to live in New York City, the amount of media I would be exposed to would be ridiculous, almost 100 times the media I experienced in Winona. Overall, we are all exposed to media, some more than others depending on where they live, but one thing to keep in mind is that media may be all around us, but we control the media.


Unknown. "Times Square." Unknown. Online image. http://www.visitingdc.com/images/times-square-address.jpg. January 15, 2007

No comments: