Friday, November 16, 2007

Why I couldn’t remember and what I remember



On September 11, 2001, the towers of the World Trade Center were hit by one hijacked plane each. When I was asked the question, where I was that day, I thought hard about where I was but my mind was blank! I went home that day and asked my mom, and everything came to me! On September 11, 2001, I still wasn’t in school because I had just moved to Canada on July 12, 2001 from Norway, and my brother and I were not aloud to attend school with having some medical test done, due to Canadian laws. Although I don’t remember a lot about that horrifying day, I remember that I didn’t find out about the plane crashes until around 8 o’clock pm, and even when I saw them on the television I didn’t really understand what was going on because I didn’t know English very well, being new to Canada and everything but I knew that something was wrong. That evening my parents and their friends were watching the devastating replays of the planes crashing into the buildings, over and over again, they all looked so shocked and could not believe what had happened. I just watched the television as if it was a movie because when I asked what was going on no one would tell me, I don’t really remember when I found out what had happened on that day but I know it was a couple years later.

Shortly after I had found out about what had happened that day Alan Jackson came out with a song "Where Were You When The World Stopped Turning? In the song Jackson states in one line "I watch CNN but I’m not sure I can tell you the difference between Iraq and Iran."
With this line Jackson made very good statement about media coverage and how they really don’t care about the people in the middle-east, and how the news considers all middle-eastern people to be the same. This is diffidently not the case because if you were to compare Iraqi and Iranian people you would discover that they have a completely different culture and values. I think that with this song Alan Jackson tried to get people to remember all the people who lost their lives that day, and he did a very good job of it, even though he was criticised for awakening the grief of 9/11.

Soon after Alan Jacksons song was starting to be forgotten and more and more accepted movies came out for the even of 9/11. The movies that came out were “World Trade Center” and “United 93” just like Alan Jacksons song the movies were both criticised for once again awakening the grief of 9/11. In my opinion I think the movies were an alright idea, but they didn’t really focus on 9/11 all together, but instead they chose one part of 9/11 and focused on that in both movies. So over all the movies weren’t that bad but the world really wouldn’t have been much different if they had been made.



Alan Jackson - Where Were You When The World Stopped Turning



United 93 Trailer



World Trade Center



Amy Zalman. " Two planes carsh into the towers of the World Trade Center." Unknown. Online image.
http://terrorism.about.com/od/homelandsecurity/ig/Airline-Security---Terrorism/CNN911scrn.htm.November 16, 2007.

No comments: